Old 15-10-2005, 12:08 AM
V_coerulea

Default orchid database?

I use MS Access also. But I have 856 entries and I don't think I could
handle watering the way you do. I do have fields comparable to yours. I have
added additional fields for hlinks to pics. The main queries I've set up are
for inventory purposes (how many, what sizes) both for sale purposes as well
as to take along when I'm out for purchases to prevent dupes, etc.
Gary
"J Fortuna" wrote in message
I was wondering how many people here have a database for keeping track of
your orchids, and if you do what kind of info do you store in your
database?

I have a database that I created in MS Access in August 2004 and have been
using since then. In this database I store information such as: official
name of plant, my own nickname for each orchid, genus, whether it is a
species or hybrid, date acquired and vendor acquired from, comments,
spiking/blooming/wilting dates (whenever I remember to log them or
approximate dates when I do not), and also watering dates with average
watering interval calculated. I run a query every morning which tells me
which orchids most likely will need to be watered on that day, and then I
check these orchids first and water them if needed and if I have time then
check the ones scheduled for the following day or two to check whether
they
need watering early. I log the date watered in the database immediately
after the watering, so that I continue to keep track. I also have a query
showing me a list of orchids that are currently in bloom and since when,
and
all the ones that are currently in spike and since when.

Anyone else track watering schedules in a database, or am I weird in that
respect?

What other info do you track? I know I should probably add fields to my
database to track the date each orchid was last repotted, any other info
that it would be useful to track?

Joanna