Old 14-10-2005, 09:26 PM
San Diego Joe

Default Pond cleaning schedule

"Mike C" wrote:

I typically have cleaned out my 3 yr old pond in the spring, fall and
once in the summer. I no longer have any tree near my pond and haven't
cleaned it out since spring. There does not appear to be a lot of
debris in there other than the typical. Does it really need to be
cleaned out before winter?

I cover it with a pool cover (leaving room for air to enter/exit) and
heat it to keep it from freezing. I am just thinking that a natural
pond never gets cleaned out and if mine looks fairly clean, is there a
need. Yes, I am being lazy. I also don't like stressing my Koi which
inveitably happens.

Ahhh, but natural ponds also eventually fill in

When you say "cleaned out" what do you do? Do you empty the pond and power
wash everything or just power wash up the mulm from the bottom? I vacuum
mine up. Do you have stones on the bottom of the pond? Bottom drain?

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.