Old 15-10-2005, 07:09 AM
Martin

Default timber training boxes

Thanks to all for your responses,
I suspected (as Mr. Lewis pointed out) that the type of mould/fungus that
attacks rotting pine would be different to those which attack living roots
of a tree. Could anyone shine some more light on this in addition to the
apples and oranges analogy?.

The marine sealer looks the go...

Thanks again
Martin.

"Wayne C. Morris" wrote in message
In article , "Martin" wrote:

I've seen in several bonsai books and on the net the use of training

boxes
for larger specimens of Yamadori etc. I was wondering what would be the

best
timber to use for say a 5 year stint as a training box. My main concern
being timber rot and it's effects on the roots of my plants.

I knocked up one box out of dressed (smooth sanded) pine planks I had

laying
around and sealed them with clear varnish but am still somewhat

concerned
about the planks rotting.

Any tips in regards would be greatly appreciated.

Martin

I'd give it a few coats of marine varnish. If it's good enough for boats,
it ought to protect a planter from rot. And I'd wait at least a week
before using it, just to make sure the varnish is fully cured.