Old 18-01-2003, 06:39 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Slightly OT - Conservatories

The message
from "Rachael Reynolds" contains these
words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
Allow for more ventilation than you think you will need, preferably
set up so you can arrange a natural through draft of air, and have a
waterproof floor if you're going to be watering plants. If possible
don't site it facing due south..it will be much too hot for people and
plants in summer.
Janet.

I was wondering about how you keep the insurance company happy with
ventilation in conservatories. Can you get, say, self opening windows which
don't open far enough to be a security risk?

We had a secure solid door between the conservatory and the house
(same construction and insurance-worthy lock spec as our front doors).A
friend of mine who has a really picky insurer, has a double door; a
glasspanel one on the "house" side plus a lockable strong wrought
ironwork door on the conservatory side. It might be worth asking your
insurers beforehand, what will be acceptable to them.

Janet.