Old 19-01-2003, 07:44 AM
Martin Sykes

Default meconopsis(himalayan blue)

"tony" wrote in message
i believe that frost can make them strike, is this right?

Try it with a few. The biggest failures I've had with seeds have been caused
by trying to germinate them all together. One thing goes wrong and you lose
the lot.

I've had a few seeds in the unheated greenhouse ( the fridge is full of
food). They did nothing until the recent frosts and then loads came up so
there is probably something that breaks down in seeds below zero which
allows the germination. I think the point of putting things in the
fridge/airing cupboard is to 'trick' seeds into thinking the seasons have
gone past and it's time to germinate. If it's the right time of year anyway
then you might as well just let nature do it for you.

If there is no frost forecast where you are soon, I see no reason why a
short spell in the freezer wouldn't do the same but you should probably make
sure they're not too wet when you try it.

Martin