Old 16-10-2005, 12:28 AM
Daniel Morrow

Default Cats

Mid posted.

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
news
"Cecil" wrote in message
oups.com...
We love cats and own a cat.....an INDOOR cat. Our neighbors (two
different neighbors) own more than one cat and they stay outdoors
all night and most of the day (the cats, not the neighbors). Problem
is, one cat loves to fish. She's the only cat I've caught in the act,
so I'm blaming her for all the torture that has befallen on our koi and
goldfish.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to keep these sweeties away
from our precious fish, please advise. We have tried speaking
to the neighbors. What a laugh!

Cecil

I've read cats hate the smell of citrus. What
about tossing orange rinds around the pond
for awhile (putting out fresh every couple
of days) and perhaps the cats will get the
idea and go elsewhere. There are products
like "cat away" in pet stores. I don't know
how well they'd work. I'd read the labels
carefully since a lot of things can be toxic
to aquatic life. There might be other organic
"barriers" you could research online, or
perhaps do a google search in rec.pets.cats.
http://groups.google.com/

On a benign cat-pond note, one of my cats
drank water from the pond today. She's never
done that before. I know that's not unusual, but
she has terminal cancer

I am sorry to hear your cat has terminal cancer. 2 years ago I had to
euthanize our beloved russian grey looking cat because he had throat cancer
and towards the end we had no choice but to euthanize him for his sake.
Damned cancer! A few months ago I had to euthanize his sister blackie
because she was showing major sings of old age (18 1/2 years old) and had
organ failure (possibly multiple organ failure), anemia, wasn't
eating/drinking and towards the end she weighed 4 pounds and was howling the
last day or 2 before being euthanized. It was very moving for us - I hope
the best for your cat and yourself no matter what happens, and it will still
be trying for you I am sure as pets have powerful effects on there
caregivers. Good luck and later!

and anything that pleases
her pleases me. As far as her affecting the fish:
as a 5-lb cat with depressed appetite, she's not
interested in "fishing". (She only goes out under
strict supervision and because she wants to.)

Gail