Old 19-01-2003, 11:27 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Ancient chilli peppers

In article ,
Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:

"Nick wrote in message
Seeing as some seeds found in a Pharaoh's Tomb were germinated ...

I thought that was a suburban myth, but I could be wrong!

May be Nick but take a look at...

http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/msbp/msbfaq/msb_a12.html

So it's well possible that these chilli seeds would be viable after "only"
40 years, depends on storage conditions etc.

Oh, yes, indeed. That reference confirms my doubts, but certainly
many seeds remain viable for decades even in the soil.

Oh, and Si, as with all things chilli please note that if you touch them
with your fingers wash your hands before touching any part of yourself (or
others) with delicate skin, eyes, lips, etc.
The heat is mainly in the seeds.

It doesn't transfer all that much by touching dry seeds by dry hands,
though people with greasy hands may have more trouble. It is worth
remembering that it is oil-soluble and is NOT removed by washing
with plain water.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679