Old 16-10-2005, 09:21 AM
0tterbot

Default newbie with a carrot question!

"Andrew Gabb" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:
i sowed a batch of carrot seed yesterday, & discovered this morning a
certain dog (ahem) has been frolicking in the ground where i sowed them.

If the dog has just tromped around a little, I wouldn't worry too much
about it. Carrots don't need to be very deep. Rake it over to make it
semi-even, maybe sprinkle some seed raising mixture on top and water
lightly.

One of the secrets of sowing carrots from this time of the year onwards is
to keep the soil moist. If it dries out completely, you usually lose them.
From about December onward (when it gets hot) I always put lawn clippings
on top - the carrots come up through the clippings OK.

thanks andrew,
i'm sorry to say that since posting about it, i haven't actually done
anything about it at _all_ (despite my good intentions)!!! so the reality is
that i needed to keep them moist but haven't due to dog damage - so i'm just
writing off that batch of seed altogether as they haven't been moist enough.
dreadful, isn't it ;-) i will keep the grass clipping idea in mind for when
it's hotter, as they'll definitely need to be mulched with something! atm
i'm in love with pea straw, which is my new discovery, & putting it about
everywhere.
kylie