Old 16-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Sacha

Default laurel

On 16/10/05 10:53, in article ,
"Kate Morgan" wrote:

I have some long hedge gaps that I need to fill, I am going to use
native hedging for most of the gaps but one I need to fill quickly -
about 15ft. -as it is a bit of a security thing and it worries me. I
have been looking around and think that Laurel would do the job as the
plants are fairly large to start with but having just done a google the
fact that there is a poison problem is another worry, any advice please

kate

There is the question of which laurel you're thinking of, though it
seems that most of them are poisonous anyway. Many, if not most, plants
are poisonous, so knowledge of your specific worries would also be of
assistance to potential respondees.

I wish to block the gaps with a fast growing evergreen in order to
prevent the local low life getting any ideas about plundering my stable
yard, also to give birds somewhere to shelter.

kate

I don't know where you live, Kate but perhaps Escallonias would answer your
need? They grow pretty quickly and have lovely flowers, beloved by bees.
The other possibility is Eucalyptus which also grows fast and tall. If the
height isn't what you want, there are some varieties that can be 'stopped'
and make good hedging plants. Holly isn't quite so fast but it's a good
deterrent and if you get male and female varieties, you'll get the berries,
too.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk