Old 16-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Brian

Default laurel

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 16/10/05 11:46, in article
, "Jaques d'Alltrades"
wrote:

The message
from Kate Morgan contains these words:

I have some long hedge gaps that I need to fill, I am going to use
native hedging for most of the gaps but one I need to fill quickly -
about 15ft. -as it is a bit of a security thing and it worries me. I
have been looking around and think that Laurel would do the job as the
plants are fairly large to start with but having just done a google the
fact that there is a poison problem is another worry, any advice please

Poison problem is negligible unless you have a toddler with a
death-wish. In any case, the toddler would be pretty-well grown-up by
the time ant 'cherries' appear.

Is it likely to be poisonous to horses, though? I simply don't know if
horses take a nibble at laurel, though I do know people won't use yew
hedging round horses. And a friend of mine's horse died after eating
acorns. ;-(
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

~~~~~~~~~~
Interestingly, the New Forest permits pigs to roam during the acorn
season to keep them from the ponies.
Yew foliage is exceptionally poisonous to all herbivores hence it being
planted in graveyards~away from animals. Yew trimmings thrown over a hedge
are tempting, and fatal, to horses and cattle. The seeds are even more
poisonous but the surrounding bright red aril is very edible~~ but do spit
out the seed!!
A few Pyracanthas will quickly deter any unwanted guests. Very sharp
thorns but will remain 'see-through'.
Have never had horses interested in laurel~just ignored it~ but a very
hungry horse will eat anything!!
Best Wishes Brian.