Old 16-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Gene Schurg

Default What about this cross?

KB,

Isn't it fun? I've done a couple of species selfs but nothing hybrid. Last
Monday Al suggested that I try to self a Phal zebrina of mine. I don't know
if it took yet. I pollenated two of the flowers and the nectary has closed
up around the pollentia. I feel like a little bumble bee!

I find it interesting to see this happen.

Good luck with your cross.

Gene

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Gene Schurg wrote:
Interesting perspective from everyone. This is why I bounced this idea

past
all the nice people on this newsgroup.

I agree that this would not be a small plant to see bloom. I do like

the
flowers in the SBOE picture. We had a speaker recently at our society
meeting who wanted everything crossed with Schom. He will even plate

the
seeds and give the pod owner a flask of finished plants.

I may try it just to see if I get the pod to set but I don't have any

plans
to retire on the income from this cross.

Great Discussion everyone. The alternate opinions are of good value.

Good Growing,
Gene

Diana.....come and take away all my duplicate plants so I have room for
more!

Well, Gene, you may have started something.

I don't mean your cross.

I went out to the GH and next thing I knew I was pulling pollinia out of
one flower and putting them on another.

I'm so excited! My first hybrids!

My friend Marilyn Light gave me some info that I'll share

"Some, all or none of your crosses may take. If the ovary yellows
immediately then the cross didn't take. Because pollen must first
germinate then yield pollen tubes which grow down to a developing ovary,
fertilization may take weeks to months to happen. Meanwhile, the ovary
stays green and will enlarge. If fertilization is impossible, then
embryos will not form and the ovary will yellow and drop. If the cross
is compatible, the ovary will continue to enlarge as the seeds mature.

You can monitor seed development by measuring the ovary width at the
same place every week. The width will increase until fertilization
happens, pause for awhile then resume enlargement until the seeds are
mature. Then the fruit will ripen for awhile before splitting."

Pretty cool, huh!

K Barrett