Old 17-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Frank Rosenbaum

Default Wild Fescue in a Fescue lawn

"John" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 09:57:50 -0700, G Burton wrote:

I have ugly grass mixed in with my dwarf fescue. I have been
fighting
the problem for years. A man at my local nursurey finally said that the
ugly grass is "wild fescue", and that there is nothing I can do about it.
He even said that if I kill all the grass and plant all new dwarf fescue
that he wild fescue would blow right back in again. I couldn't find much
useful information about "wild fescue" on the internet. There were
mentions
of it, but nothing that directly applies to my situation.

I believe he is probably right, but I am posting this just in case
anyone knows of a better solution.

I am also interested in chosing a better grass in case I finally
decide
to get rid of all fescue. I am very satisfied dwarf fescue, but the wild
fescue makes me want to change to a different type. I am hoping that
there
is a type of nice-looking grass allows me to kill off all its competiors
and
grows well in my zone (Western Garden Book zone 14).

Any chance this is nutgrass ? This is what invaded my tall fescue lawn
this summer. After using the preferred herbicide which didn't kill it
all, I used Roundup to terminate everything in the effected section.
Two weeks later guess what I have back ? Nutgrass ! It pretty ugly
stuff reminding me of a cross between a scallion and grass.

Next spring I'm going to be very aggressive at killing everything in
the front yard. I simply have no choice. This stuff just keeps coming
back. I'm thinking of doing the following.

1) Blast all nutgrass with a steam machine
2) Hit the yard with SedgeHammer.
3) Simultaneously canvas it with Roundup.
4) Cover the lawn in heavy black plastic
5) Pray. A lot.

And if all works out, I'm going to seed in Zenith Zoysia.

John

Why not do what I have wanted to do with every lawn I have ever owned.
Concrete painted green.