Old 17-10-2005, 10:02 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Jalapino Chillies

The message 1129533596.f475bbf88b0d32f1ecb90abf497533bb@teran ews
from "Tim C." contains these words:
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:58:45 +0000 (UTC), capstan wrote:

Got just two plants in the GH and had a very good yield. I've
picked loads
of red fruits, strung them on fishing line and hung them up to dry, but
there are still lots of full sized green ones left.
Now I need the ground space.....urgently.
If I pick the green ones will they then turn red (ish)...... or should I
leave them on uprooted plants and hang them upside down to
mature....... or
are green ones just as good as red ?

Advice would be nice.

They're just as good green. If it's a darkish green. That's the way they're
generally picked and sold anyway. I know some chilliheads that regard red
jalapenos as overripe.

That's good to know - so far I only have one almost ripe one and a lot
of long, plump, juicy green ones.

This time last year I was stringing ripe ones up and drying them. Four
plants were grown from last year's seed and live in a tub in their own
see-through Tardis [1¾] and one which survived last winter was pruned
down and has regrown - slowly.

[1¾] three windows screwed together and one which clips on the front,
either to enclose them fully, or to leave a ventilation gap, and a
polythene top which can also be turned back to provide a smaller vent.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/