Old 17-10-2005, 01:54 PM
BAC

Default Other peoples cat's - OT response

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond contains these

words:

I find all abuse of English quite amusing, [and thank whoever for
spell-check] as there seems to be no way to alter, once an adult. We

seem
to learn by example, from peers and parents, rather than education.

That depends on the quality of teaching. Grammar teaching was so
forcefully ingrained at my school, I doubt if any pupil of my vintage
misuses apostrophes, texts messages in lower case only, or could bring
herself to say "Lots of teachers gave Janet and I a Detention".

Whilst at school, we were taught that it was incorrect to put an 's' after
the 'possessive' apostrophe in the case of plural words ending in 's'. Hence
we would put, for example, the squirrels' nuts (meaning the nuts put out for
the squirrels); not the squirrels's nuts; certainly not the squirrel's nuts,
which latter would mean we were asserting the squirrel (singular) was nuts.
As an expert in these matters, can you please advise whether that usage is
still regarded as correct?