Old 17-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Mike Lyle

Default laurel------thank you

Kate Morgan wrote:
In article .com,
says...
Surely thick and prickly would be more of a security thing than

tall
and not prickly? Anyone can push their way through a laurel hende
but I would defy anyone to push through pyracantha, berberis, rosa
rugosa etc and they are certainly pretties, easier to maintain and
great for feeding wild birds too.

I want to thank everyone who responded to my Laurel thread. I have
had lots of good ideas and will be plant shopping this week.

kate

Just a couple of Johnny-come-lately comments. HMSO Bulletin 161,
_British Poisonous Plants_, which I always find a good read when I
want cheering up, says animals eat little "Laurel" (_Prunus
laurocerasus_) from choice, and that it doesn't seem to be as
poisonous under British conditions as in other countries. On yew
berries, which I always used to eat for fun -- taking great care not
to swallow the seed, as Brian warns -- it says the flesh _does_
actually contain the toxic stuff, but in small quantities.

--
Mike.