Old 17-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Brian

Default Other peoples cat's - OT response

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond contains these

words:

I find all abuse of English quite amusing, [and thank whoever for
spell-check] as there seems to be no way to alter, once an adult. We

seem
to learn by example, from peers and parents, rather than education.

That depends on the quality of teaching. Grammar teaching was so
forcefully ingrained at my school, I doubt if any pupil of my vintage
misuses apostrophes, texts messages in lower case only, or could bring
herself to say "Lots of teachers gave Janet and I a Detention".

There ARE ways to alter old habits; I've spent years successfully
teaching correct spoken and written English grammar to adults, who were
motivated by the realisation that poor communication skills are still a
brake on many careers. There is an expensive and seldom publicised
industry devoted to re-vamping every aspect of social presentation,
including written, spoken and body language. Watch old footage of many
politicians (Thatcher and Blair included).

I've been amused listening to Radio 4's current trailers featuring very
different versions of John Peel's radio voice :-) .

Janet

~~~~~~~~
I must really agree with you~~ we seem to have had a similar
background with English.
It's the misuse of less and fewer that I notice most.
My own misuse of Other's, I can't glibly explain. Probably follows the
rule thay his and hers cannot be made possessive.
Best Wishes Brian.