Old 18-10-2005, 01:28 AM
Reel Mckoi

Default Winterizing

"Capn Courage" wrote in message
Has anyone tried using rigid insulation floating on the pond to keep the
water temp up a few degrees.

## Does it work?

I normally run a small pump to keep a hole
open
for gas exchange but last winter it was so cold here in southern Ontario
that it froze over anyway.

## Here in zone 6 those little pumps or small aerators work. :-)

My pond is 1800 gallons and 3 foot deep with 50
to 60 fish of all sizes up too 18 inch's. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

## That's incredible!!! My pond is 2000 gallons and only has about 16 koi
(plus 8 fry that were born after the cleaning and berm repair). Several of
these are being removed at the next major water change. How do you keep the
water in good condition with 50 or 60 fish in your pond? If your pond
freezes over they're sure to suffocate and quickly. You may want to start
finding homes for some of them.

McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b