Old 17-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Other peoples cat's - OT response

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 22:59:59 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Is it just language eveolving or is it because they don't teach
grammar any more?

There is little question that language is still evolving....I wonder what
Sheakspeare would thing of todays English....I really wonder what authority
has the absolute right to state what is proper and what is not....is the
spelling of color incorrect.....perhaps spelling is a different
subject from
grammar but never-the-less an indicator of change...for better or
worse.....H

What's correct in one area of the country can be looked at as verging on
the illiterate in another.

"I'm staying while 5 o'clock." would puzzle many. ("I'm staying until 5
o'clock.")Using 'us' instead of 'we' and 'I' instead of 'me' is correct
for some local dialects, notably parts of the West Country, and 'That I
be.' is common over a lot of the country.

Spelling has been standardised (to some extent) and 'color' is wrong in
UK English. the past participle of the verb 'to sneak' is variously
'sneaked' and 'snuck' in the UK, but more often the former.

I gather that it is the other way round across the pond.

Then you have car parts - the hood in the UK is that bit of folding
cloth and steel which covers the accommodation during inclement weather,
and a trunk is either an elephant's nasal appendage or a big box for
transporting clothes.

Faucets and taps, automobile and car, railroad and railway, and while
you wouldn't get a raised eyebrow in the UK if you said you saw someone
with a fag between his lips...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/