Old 17-10-2005, 09:33 PM
David Rance

Default Other peoples cat's - OT response

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 Pam Moore wrote:

The correct use of apostrophes hasn't changed, there are just more
people abusing them.

Who has read Eats, shoots and leaves? (to bring in a gardening link!)

I was just about to mention that book!

Quite entertaining for those of us fussy about such things.
While we are on the topic of grammar, I would ask if anyone is as
infuriated as I am by the number of people who say "somethinK" and
"anythinK".

My pet hate is the incorrect use of "you and I". The rule is that if, in
a sentence, "me" would be correct, then it should be "you and me". In
other words, if it is the object in a sentence or after a preposition.

But people are completely confused by it simply because sentence
construction is no longer taught in schools, not even in the remaining
grammar schools. I can afford to criticise as I was a teacher in a
grammar school for most of my career.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK