Old 17-10-2005, 11:04 PM
Dah

Default Other peoples cat's - OT response

Mike wrote:
"Dah" wrote in message

"I'm staying while 5 o'clock." would puzzle many. ("I'm staying until 5
o'clock.")

. . . and caused serious injuries to the poor soul at the railway
crossing who obeyed the sign WAIT WHILE (until) SIGNALS ARE FLASHING

????????????????????????????

Pardon?

Please explain

Mike Crowe F.E.P.

Mike,

In many parts of the North, the word while used to be synonymous with
until, at least when I was in school. Consequently, instead of waiting
whilst the signals were flashing, warning that a train was approaching,
the poor soul waited while (until) they were flashing and proceed to
cross the tracks. It was a schoolteacher who related the anecdote to
enlighten us to the confusion of the words.

To further confuse the issue, "while" was reduced to "well".

Hope this helps.