Old 18-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Richard Brooks

Default Help wanted (somewhat O/T)

Paul D.Smith wrote:
If it's the size of a rat, and shy with it, it's almost certainly a rat.
And where there's one...

Depending on your preference, poison, traps or the next door neighbours jack
russel - although I'd not go for the latter because any vets bills for bites
to the dog could cost you a lot!

You must do something and I believe rats are notifiable (you have to tell
the council) but providing you're taking steps, they almost certainly won't
care. And you won't need me to warn you that rat poison should be handled
with care as anything else that eats it dies too!

Do you get them a lot? If so, you might want to invest on one of these
tought, but expensive, rat poison boxes. About £90.00 I'm told but
obviously handy to have as you can place it where you want, filled with
poison, and it's relatively safe.

£90.00 is a bit steep as the council ones look like they cost about
£5.00 and if I still have one, the original poster can have it for free.

As to poison, I don't know if the poison mix is changed over time but as
noted by council rat killers, the rats build up an immunity to the stuff.

As suggested by 'JB' rats like protected runs more than wide open spaces
and can be caught by baitless or baited traps (which can be found in
B&Q). I've found that some rats are too damned quick for traps, even if
I've slightly bent the trigger pin to fire the trap earlier, minding my
fingers.

Richard.

--
Celebrate Eid Safely!