Old 18-10-2005, 08:36 PM
told2b

Default Another "whatisit" :-)

A gift from some bird; a seed in applied mulch; a volunteer in some
plant
brought home from the garden center; unearthed from below the frost
line
when the soil was worked? Who knows?
Collect the pods, let then dry, store the seeds in a cold place and
plant
them around May 15 next year. See how long you can keep this freebie
going.

Donald Gares wrote:
Vox Humana wrote:
Definitely hyacinth bean. Collect the pods after they turn brown and dry on
the vine and plant in the late spring outside or start inside in late
winter. I remove the beans from the dry pods and soak in warm water over
night before planting. They like the heat. The pods on mine are starting
to dry now.

Hey, thanks to both of you.

What we don't understand is when we look them up it states that they are
grown as a perennial in zones 8-9 and as an annual in zones lower than
that. Well, we are in zone 5 (southeast IA) and we sure didn't plant
them so how did they get in our flower garden? Might they have managed
to winter over this far north?

Don & Rhonda