Old 19-10-2005, 08:26 AM
JennyC

Default Beginners question

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
I am finally getting round to getting my small back garden into some
sort of shape.

I have even planted something [1] which was rather fun.

My beginners question is - is it actually a good time to order new
plants (e.g. perennials or an Acer) and stick them in the ground now or
should I really wait until next year?

The J Parkers catalogue [2] suggests it is a good time to plant before
dormancy sets in. I'm just a bit dubious as to whether "baby" plants
will root in time and not die over winter - especially in quite heavy
London clay soils.

[1] some grasses and hellebores. Bulbs go in soon providing the soil
doesn't become horrendously wet.
[2] free with gardeners world magazine.
--
Paul C

Autumn is usually the best time to plant shrubs etc. the soil is still warm from
simmer. The ground is coldest in spring.......

You mention 'baby' plants. I'd not put anything too small out. How small are
your 'babies' ?

Jenny