Old 19-10-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Please help ID trees/shrubs, and a cute dog.

we live in the mid-south (the climate zone covers north mississippi,
southwest/central TN); soil is solid clay (hard, reddish color);
builder put black top soils on it.

1) neighbor's dog; friendly to me, but like to chase cars!
http://216.119.177.53/help2ID/DSC_5445.JPG

2) this tree faces the west and doesn't look very healthy.
http://216.119.177.53/help2ID/DSC_5448.jpg
leaves close-up:
http://216.119.177.53/help2ID/DSC_5449.JPG

3) what are the plants in the lower left and upper right, separately?
http://216.119.177.53/help2ID/DSC_5450.JPG

4) the root looks like ginger:
http://216.119.177.53/help2ID/DSC_5451.JPG

5) pretty, with waxy leaves; dark green, very healthy:
http://216.119.177.53/help2ID/DSC_5452.jpg

leaves, flowers, fruits closeup:
http://216.119.177.53/help2ID/DSC_5453.JPG

6) i think this is maple; but what kind? i did some research and
exclude "florida maple", although florida maple is native to where i
live and popular.
leaves:
http://216.119.177.53/help2ID/DSC_5454.JPG

balk: