Old 19-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Covering rhododendrons with fleece jacket (or not) ?

Mike wrote:
Hello,

I have several rhododendrons in my garden up against a fence which
gets the full force of northerly winds.

The plants look look fine at present and normally I leave them
alone to face the Winter and look none the worse in the following
Spring.

This year I understand that the weather may be colder and I am
thinking of placing a "polypropylene fleece" over them.

Would this be a good idea ?
Thanks.

Mike.

Better rhodo growers than I may suggest otherwise, but I wouldn't do
anything. I used to have a huge old Ponticum and its offspring very
much exposed to the north in open country, and I never noticed it
taking any harm. It had grown to form a very big natural play-house
inside, and flowered very well. This was in relatively warm West
Wales, though, and I must stress that it was a plain Ponticum, not a
choice variety.

--
Mike.