Old 21-01-2003, 08:23 AM
JennyC

Default Stopping things growing ?

"JimM" wrote in message
Hi Jenny

I don't mind the gardening so much but I draw the line at self

inflicted
torture. The berberris is an evil sod, covered in 2 inch spikes and

no
matter how careful I am I end up like a pin cushion. I'm sure that

if I had
a drink after the pruning the water would leak from my hands cartoon

style

I'll give it another go at cutting back (very) hard as I just

couldn't live
with a fence instead.
Cheers
Jim

Prune it again in summer, when the spikes are new and softer ?
Jenny

"JennyC" wrote in message

"JimM" wrote in message
Not sure if this is an anathema to the group but I'll give it a

shot
anyway

I've got a couple of shrubs and a hedge that are getting a bit

out
of
control. I pruned the shrubs back last winter but that just

encouraged them
to try even harder during 2002.

Before I chop back again this year does the group have any

suggestions on
how to restrain their growth. Ideally I'd like to cut back hard

and
then put
some magic potion on some of the stumps to stop them growing

without
killing
off the whole thing. Is this what the 'prune and seal' type

product
is for ?

The real problem plants are a Berberris hedge which is too thick

and
Fuschia which just gets too big.

Thanks Jim
Remove BRAIN before replying

There are three ways of dealing with your problem:
1) Dig everything up and put up a fence instead
2) Prune hard every year
3) Start to love gardening ..............:~)

Jenny