Old 20-10-2005, 12:43 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default chain saw v. trimmer - urgent!

The message
from "Charlie Brown" contains these words:

Hi

I have just started my 2 weeks holiday and I need to clear my garden of 10
years worth of neglect (we have just moved in). To make matters worse, I
just cut through the cable of the hedge trimmer. I went to buy a petrol
driven type but they didn't have one - the guy said he had plenty of chain
saws. Question! what is the difference (apart from the obvious) between
using a chain saw and a trimmer for doing the same type of work i.e.
cropping back bushes and scrub etc? - will a chain saw TRIM a hedge?

No. It's likely to snarl up and take your face off.

If , to make a sale, he implied a hedgetrimmer and chainsaw are
interchangeable tools for your job, then congratulations. You've had a
narrow escape. Without having made an expensive mistake, you have
identified someone who does not know his stock, does not care for your
safety, knows damn all about garden maintenance, and even less about
machine maintenance. Don't do business with him; find someone else.

Janet