Old 20-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Duncan

Default Variety Cultivar or Form, how do I know ?

Hi

For no other reason than it interests me I'm trying to get my head
around the way plants are named.

From a standing start I know that there are various naming schemes (if
that's the right word) and that different people have different ideas
on how to name plants.

I think I understand the basics of what goes on 'above' the Family in
the naming hierarchy and I'm happy with everything else down to the
species.

The question is, how do I know if something is a Variety, Cultivar or
Form ?

One of the examples I'm using is a plant I have in my garden

The label says Ajuga reptans 'Burgundy Glow'

Now I know that Ajuga is the Genus and reptans is the species (at
least I think I do) but I'm not sure how I decide what the 'Burgundy
Glow' bit is.

According to documentation I have read on the web and in books names
following the species should be prefixed with either var for Variety,
cv for Cultivar and something else for Form (which I have forgotten
for the time being). In the absence of this prefix, how do I decide
what 'type' the plant is.

I think this question may be a bit too basic for this group, if so
where should I be asking 'beginners' type questions like this ?

Many thanks
Duncan