Old 20-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default chain saw v. trimmer - urgent!

The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:

Leaving aside, for the moment, the possibilities of nails, barbed
wire, remnants of other fencing wires etc. destroying chains
( yes, I agree a spare is handy)
but the business bits do blunt under normal operations anyway, and one
always has a round file to hand to do the sharpening oneself, as part
of normal operations. Tedious work, but not a loss of "the rest of the
day" ! It is work that can be done 'by eye' with the usual cuppa'
whilst contemplating the next bit of the job !

The serious 'getting the angles just-so' part of maintaining the chain
can be left till the next evening in the workshop.

Thoroughly agree, but the OP wanted to do the job 'now, if not sooner',
so to speak. I've been using the things since the mid to late 'fifties,
and without problems, but I've heard of plenty of people who haven't
been so lucky/careful.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/