Old 20-10-2005, 05:49 PM
timorous wraith

Default caterpillars

dicko wrote:

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:41:57 -0500, timorous wraith
wrote:

I found some caterpillars which look a lot like the green hornworms
that get on tomatoes but the horn is dark colored and they have the
large "eyes" near the front that look similar to what tiger
swallowtail larvae have. Any clue what they might be? I am thinking
some sort of sphinx moth, but thus far have not found anything that
looks exactly like them while googling. Damn camera is broken or I
would post a picture to the binary group.

try:
http://www.whatsthiscaterpillar.co.uk/
or
http://www.whatsthatbug.com

Thanks, I had already tried the top link but the second one identified
it for me:

http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/xterster.htm

The ones I had found were on the ground near my plants, but after
learning what they were I looked on my Egyptian starflowers and found
literally dozens of them. I had not even noticed anything was eating
on the plants. I left them alone, the plants will die to frost soon
anyway. I borrowed someone else's camera and took pictures this
morning, I will post those to the garden binaries group if any turn
out. In case anyone wants to see them. *shrug*