Old 21-10-2005, 02:04 AM
J Fortuna

Default not-quite-basal keiki

Thanks Xi!

An additional thought on the placement of this basal keiki: I looked at this
orchid again, and with all the aerial roots, I wonder whether as far as the
plant is concerned that is the base of the plant now. The two leaves below
that level are still green, but if they grow yellow by the next time this
plant needs repotting (probably still a while from now), I will repot it so
that the media reach that point.

This reminds me of the orchid grower whom I encountered in Wisconsin who
would always cut off perfectly healthy leaves below the highest aerial root
and repot his Phals so that all aerial roots were in the pot -- very unusual
fellow in many ways, and an orchid hybridizer with decades of experience so
this was not due to lack of knowledge but just eccentricity I guess. Also a
coworker of mine (who is an orchid newbie) asked me recently (talking about
aerial roots) "What are those ugly things that look like worms that are
coming out of my orchid, and can I cut them off?" I guess people's aesthetic
tastes differ greatly. Personally I am quite fond of aerial roots, the more
the merrier.
Joanna

"Xi Wang" wrote in message
I think this is pretty normal. I've seen basal keiki on many non-Dtps
plants, and I currently have a Phal that's doing the exact same thing as
yours. Plants that are croaking do make keiki as a lost shot, but it
also makes sense that if a plant was doing well and had lots of "extra"
energy, it would invest it in some progeny. It was extremely lucky for
me because soon after, the primary crown got rot had had to be cut back!
The location isn't odd, as I've seen that too.

Cheers,
Xi

Up until today I had assumed that Phal's basal keikis always start at

the
base, at the bottom of the plant. I had assumed that non-basal keikis

always
grow from a flower spike and not from the main stem where the leaves

come
from. Also I had not expected any of my non-Doritaenopsis to have a

basal
keiki, unless the plant itself was in danger of croaking, whereas this

is a
very vigorous plant. Were my assumptions just wrong? Or is what is

happening
here unusual?

Joanna