Old 20-10-2005, 10:07 PM
~Roy

Default Winterizing

The local swimming pool company here had some left over solar blanket
material they were throwing away.......It resembles bubble wrap
material but with a heavier gauge material, UV resistant, and its
made to it absorbs heat rays and transfers it to the water.....Sort of
a semi transparent metallic mylar material. They sell it by the sq
foot or yard in some places or can get the blanket in finished sizes
as well. IIRC they told me a piece big enough to cover a typical pool
of 25 x 40 feet was around $175, complete with gromets and anchoring
cords.

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:38:20 +0000, adavisus
wrote:

===
===Capn Courage Wrote:
=== Has anyone tried using rigid insulation floating on the pond to keep
=== the
=== water temp up a few degrees. I normally run a small pump to keep a
=== hole
=== open
=== for gas exchange but last winter it was so cold here in southern
=== Ontario
=== that it froze over anyway. My pond is 1800 gallons and 3 foot deep with
=== 50
=== to 60 fish of all sizes up too 18 inch's. Any suggestions would be
=== greatly
=== appreciated.
===
=== Rigid material? Why? it would reduce the sun warming the water and add
=== to sealing the water surface, contributing to poorer water quality.
===
=== Now if you put a sturdy frame (sturdy enough to cope with a heavy snow)
=== a foot or two over a pond with a strong grade of clear plastic sheet (6
=== mil) that would collect warmth from the sun and reduce ground cooling
=== after dark.
===
=== That would significantly improve a ponds 'climate' in harsh freezing
=== Winters. Take care a 'cold frame' does not bake and broil the pond,
=== when Spring sun gets to strengthen up...
===
=== Regards, andy
=== http://tinyurl.com/o8ax

"The original frugal ponder"