Old 21-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default chain saw v. trimmer - urgent!

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message

Not with a modern saw - it wiyld have stopped by the time it hit you -
but it might leave a nasty gash.

My observations of people using modern chainsaws is that is not true.
When a tool like that kicks back in that position, it will hit you
in a fraction of a second (perhaps a tenth), and the saws just don't
stop that fast. Also, that is so fast that it is possible that
their "control finger" is still in place even if they are not
holding it, by the time it hits.

Only if you still have your finger on the 'trigger' and your hand
gripping the safety-bar.

That is what I am saying is implausible. Firstly, the chain will
take a finite amount of time to stop. Secondly, it is common when
a tool kicks back out of your hands for your hands to be in the
control position but not holding the tool for a fraction of a
second. Yound hands and arms may be moved with it, if you are of
normal strength, er, weakness.

That experience is confirmed by using certain (non-saw) drill
attachments, where both effects also occur, but the likely damage
is VASTLY less (e.g. abrasion of clothes and skin).

They wouldn't have a brake like modern chainsaws. (I've never been
allowed to use one of them because I've always been in the company of my
fiend the gamekeeper, and he has to observe all the regulations - I'm
not covered, even though I was using chaisaws before he was a gleam in
his father's eye.)

I was not referring to that, but to my estimates of the time taken
from hitting something solid until it hits you, and to my statement
that you hands can remain holding the switches on even after you
have lost control.

What stopping time do they claim?

I don't know what they claim, but a demonstration showed almost instant
stopping - less than half a second, I'd say.

That I would believe, but it is FAR too long. Even ignoring the 'hands
still holding it on' effect, a maximum of 1/20th second is needed for
safety. I don't believe that you could hold a chainsaw against the
torsion when stopping if it did it that fast.

Seriously.

Remember that I was referring to the case of using it as a hedge
cutter at head height, where it might hit an iron post while being
1' from your face. It is THAT that I was saying was complete
insanity.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.