Old 21-10-2005, 10:30 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default chain saw v. trimmer - urgent!

The message

/snip/

I don't know what they claim, but a demonstration showed almost instant
stopping - less than half a second, I'd say.

That I would believe, but it is FAR too long.

It's not exactly travelling at the speed of light^H^H^a bullet.

Even ignoring the 'hands
still holding it on' effect, a maximum of 1/20th second is needed for
safety. I don't believe that you could hold a chainsaw against the
torsion when stopping if it did it that fast.

Nonsense! Even the torsion of a big saw (like the 36" Pioneer I learned
on) is tiddly when it stops, or when you accelerate from tick-over to
full-chat. Even the torsion from my R80 (800cc) BMW is pretty puny when
you gun it. The ratio of the weight of a chainsaw to the inertia of the
moving parts (some of which will cancel each-other anyway) is small.

Seriously.

Yes, seriously. In fifty years of using chainsaws I have never noticed
any vicious inertia effects.

Remember that I was referring to the case of using it as a hedge
cutter at head height, where it might hit an iron post while being
1' from your face. It is THAT that I was saying was complete
insanity.

Oh, I agree that for that application it would be madness to use a
chainsaw, but you created the scenario as a rather extreme example of
what not to do innit. I've no doubt you *COULD* use a chainsaw to cut
the lawn, or trim your beard...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/