Old 21-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Stopping things growing ?

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 20:42:24 -0000, "JimM"
wrote:

I've got a couple of shrubs and a hedge that are getting a bit out of
control. I pruned the shrubs back last winter but that just encouraged them
to try even harder during 2002.

Before I chop back again this year does the group have any suggestions on
how to restrain their growth. Ideally I'd like to cut back hard and then put
some magic potion on some of the stumps to stop them growing without killing
off the whole thing. Is this what the 'prune and seal' type product is for ?

The real problem plants are a Berberris hedge which is too thick and a
Fuschia which just gets too big.

whew For a second there, I thought you wanted to do the
impossible, for example convincing a 300' tree to stay at 5'.

As for the hedge, important motto: you don't own a hedge; it owns
you. Hedges need regular clipping. You may do better to *thin*
rather than just give the brute a haircut.

Fuchsia: in late winter, hack the thing to the ground. Maybe,
just maybe, some judicious root pruning with a sharp spade will
restrain its enthusiasm for regrowth. If you can't keep it under
control, tear it out and plant one that doesn't grow as lustily.

Or move it to a location where its enthusiasm doesn't pose a
problem.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada