Old 21-10-2005, 12:57 PM
michael adams

Default Covering rhododendrons with fleece jacket (or not) ?

"Mike" wrote in message
Hello,

I have several rhododendrons in my garden up against a fence which gets
the full force of northerly winds.

The plants look look fine at present and normally I leave them alone
to face the Winter and look none the worse in the following Spring.

This year I understand that the weather may be colder and I am thinking
of placing a "polypropylene fleece" over them.

Would this be a good idea ?
Thanks.

Mike.

As with camellias, the buds of some early flowering varieties of
rhododendron can be damaged by frost, especially if this is followed
by the warmth of direct sunlight the following morning.

However for frost to develop requires fairly still air. Its doubtful
if frost could develop where there are consistent high winds.

Although saying that, on any still nights, any site against a fence
can be favourable for frost pockets to develop, owing to a lack
of air circulation.

So, much depends on the variety - whether its early flowering or not,
and location, as to whether its prone to frost or not on any
still nights that may occur.

The worst that can happen probably is to lose some of that
years flowers.

michael adams