Old 21-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Dog digging in flowerbed :(

"Rick" wrote in message

I'm sure you'll get lots of "shoot it" type answers from the truely
ignorant and disturbed wacko's on the group, but the real answer is
training. It sounds like the dog is making itself a nice shady cool
day bed where she can watch the "action" Is there another spot you
could encourage her to use? That is the positive side. Praise the
digging in the "right" spot and scold in the wrong spot. AS for the
other negative reinforcement, you may have good luck with a motion
activated water sprikler/sprayer. When she comes to dig she will set
it off and get soaked, and the garden will get a brief sprinkle. Most
dogs hate being sprayed with water. One of mine does, but the other
loves it and will deliberately set off the sprinkler we have out front
to discourage deer when she gets the chance.

Brilliant. Then you have a wet, smelly dog that's going to take 2 days to
dry, unless you want to spend an hour with the dog and a hair dryer. Perhaps
you could provide a solution that would be appropriate for dog owners who
don't have that much time to waste.