Old 21-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Dan J.S.

Default Apple show near Chicago

"sherwindu" wrote in message
Hi Dan,

Apples trees do not attract any more bees than any other flowering plants
like
ornamental trees or flowers. I do not see large amounts of bees in my
home
orchard, but yellow jacket wasps are plentiful when the fruit begins to
ripen.
This can be controlled by keeping the fallen fruit off the ground, and
disposing
of any rotten fruit on the trees. I also use wasp traps, which keeps the
population
under control. I have had two stings in the past 15 years of raising
fruit, but that
could happen without fruit trees in the vicinity. Generally, the wasps
and bees will
not bother you, and buzz harmlessly around your body. You have to be
careful if
they build a nest in the trees as they will try and defend it if it is
disturbed.
Anotherwords, using common sense can deter any serious problems. You are
going to have insects in any backyard with a garden or orchard, but they
should
not be a big problem. We have club members who actually have hives in
their
backyards, but seem to have things under control. I actually find myself
doing a
lot of hand pollination in my area where the bees either come out too
late, or are
just not around.

Sherwin D.

Thank you for your answers!!!