Old 21-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Mark Anderson

Default Good artificial light source

In article says...
That's true. I have a florescent setup for vegetative growth plants
using regular ballasts and 40W bulbs from Home Depot. I'd go with Metal
Halide but I heard they can be a PITA to maintain.

No problem at all. You have to change the bulb once a year or so. And
you can get bulbs from HD, since they are used as warehouse lights and
such.

I read that the MH bulb's color spectrum shifts fairly quickly which you
can't see with your naked eye. I debated with myself between HPS and MH
but chose HPS for stability. But the HPS is a red spectrum flowering
light so some plants didn't do so well under it last winter. However,
it might be worthwhile to get one of each and run the MH light from
November to January or February and then the HPS light from January to
planting outside time. I'm still learning about it.