Old 21-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Rolling Thunder

Default Aeration

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 19:28:35 -0400, "Dean A. Markley"
wrote:

My lawn service has suggested aeration of my lawn. This was back in
August and it is now October 20. They haven't doen it yet becasue they
claim to be "backed" up. I am in Pennsylvania and am wondering if there
is any value to having this done this year now with winter approaching.
Any suggestions/thoughts/comments?

Dean

If you have less than a 1/2 inch of thatch and don't need reseeding,
I'd pass. If your lawn is new sod, I'd pass as well. Core aeration
is useful to punch through heavy thatch to allow moisture and
fertilizer get to the grass roots. It is a means to allow reseeding
get directly to the soil too. If you have a few hard spots, try
aeration by hand. You can get a hand aerator at one of the
borgs and it is a good tool to determine the amount of
thatch. Anytime you core aerate, you do open up the lawn
to weeds.

Hope this helps,

Thunder