Old 21-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Mike Lyle

Default New Member

kerryo wrote:
kerryo Wrote:
Hello everybody. Thanks for the friendly welcome and the good

advice,
especially regarding the escallonia. Glad there's a few mog fans
here. I have 3 of the beasts.
I'm off to order the fungi things now there are two kinds, one for
shrubs and trees and one for everything else
Kerry

Hope it stays dry this weekend

Whoa! I really wouldn't bother with "the fungal things" if you mean
mycorrhizal inoculation. Your soil and any plants you buy may have
quite enough already, and it won't matter anyhow. See another thread,
and save the pennies: in general practice, it's a con.

If you saw the Wollemi pine being planted at Kew, then that was a
very special case. This was a hardly-studied plant worth ten thousand
quid and from a parent growing in an extremely limited range, being
asked to grow 12,000 miles from where any of its close relatives had
grown since before man evolved, and top experts were using carefully
selected belt and braces. None of these conditions apply to anything
you and I can get to put in our gardens, and Kew almost certainly
didn't actually _need_ to do it. You may have noticed a slight smirk
on the face of Kew's tree man as he said what was in the envelope.
Glad to see he dropped a coin into the hole, though: I find that
always works.

--
Mike.