Old 21-01-2003, 07:28 PM
The Q

Default Slightly OT - Conservatories

"david" wrote in message ...
I was wondering about how you keep the insurance company happy with
ventilation in conservatories. Can you get, say, self opening windows which
don't open far

Are you talking of a conservatory or a room extension leading directly into
the house.
If it is just a lean-to conservatory on the side of the house then insurance
will be no problem.

Re ventilation....was always taught that you should have 1/8th the surface
area of the roof.
Otherwise you could fit extractor fans in the ridge section of the gable
ends and low level louvers or covered openings to let cool air in

Having just read this thread I'll point out that.
1 there is no such thing as a "lean to" conservatory as compared to
any other sort of conservatory. (legaly things like the Norfolk
greenhouses "garden room" are classed as sheds"!
2 "legaly" you are supposed to have an door between the house and
conservatory of sufficient quality that it can be used as a normal
door to the outside world.
Therefore It may be that some insurance company finds the thief has
come through the conservatory into the house through an unlocked or
insufficient door you may be uninsured.
and 3 I believe under current regulations conservatories are not
supposed to be heated because if it is, you should have got planning
permission for an extension!!
The Q