Old 21-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default New Member

The message . com
from "La puce" contains these words:
compo wrote:

We wouldn't be without our cat.

We couldn't either without our 2 cats. They keep our two dogs in check
)

(snip)

although his habit of leaving the rabbits' back legs and sphincter under
the kitchen table took some getting used to!

Yurk!! Rabbits bits?! You've got a panther or something?! The most
carnaged we witness was the offerings of 3 lil' mice, which we found
lined up on the step in our house.

I had a cat which caught rabbits. Once pounced on a dog fox and rode him
away like a jockey on a norse, clawing away at its mask as it went. Came
back still bristling, with that 'gunslinger' walk a riled cat has - she
had kittens at the time.

Next week (to the day) she spied the fox trotting along the path and
made for it like a little black exocet. Fox saw her coming and lit out
like a sensible beast.

Yet, she was *VERY* wary of a black rabbit I had...

A friend phoned me to say that he'd rescued the thing from a whippet, in
his father's garden. Haing made inquiries locally, no-one seemed to own
it. Knowing I was to be farming rabbits later in the year, he thought
I'd like it.

Well, I didn't really, but I reckoned I could knock-up a hutch for it
until I could find a home for it, so I put it down in the kitchen (lino
floor) and offered it some porage oats and a dish of water.

Rabbit spied the coal scuttle and thought something along the lines of
"Coo! Camouflage!" and hopped in.

Meanwhile, kittens (aforementioned, but just a bit older) came in
demanding to be fed, and skirted the rabbit warily, noshed their grub
and disappeared into the garden again. Cat came in, looking neither to
the right nor to the left, after all, this was *HER* house, innit?.

Meanwhile, as the cat was noshing her grub, Rabbi was getting curious,
and smelling something pleasant from within a digestive biscuits
wrapper, stuck his head in.

Unable to reach the crumbs at the bottom of it, he tried to withdraw his
head - however - the long red tube was nicely stuck, and Rabbi panicked,
and bolted.

Bolted straight at cat as she was innocently enjying her tea, and out of
the corner of her eye she espied rushing at her, this big black furry
thing with a red cylinder for a head.

Cat leaped vertically in running mode as the Redheaded Rabbi passed
harmlessly underneath, and when she hit the ground running, did a wall
of death round three walls and using the working-surface as a
springboard, leaped on my back and climbed up so she was looking over
the top of my head.

She never trusted that rabbit ever again...

The funny thing is that we could
touch them. Lilly, our she cat and top hunter, was growling when we
approached them. We had to distract her to gather the bits of rodents.
There was a woodpigeon once, cornered in our back garden by my tom cat,
who as soon as he heard me tapping on the window, jumped on the poor
bird, grabbed it and lep over the fence. I was a bit upset about this.
Rats and mice is one thing. But woodpigeon is a real shame.

Mine didn't go after birds, her one joy in life was slaughtering rats.
Mice would do, but rats were The Thing. She also killed stoats and
weasels.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/