Old 22-10-2005, 03:04 AM
TQ

Default Tomato Seeds

"juan" wrote in message
news
Every spring I plant differen varieties of tomato plants from different
nurseries. None seems to taste as good as the ones I used to plant 20
years
ago.

I realize that taste buds get old at the same rate as the rest of our
organs. But, could it be that besides my taste buds going south they are

no
longer selling good tomato plants? Is this a consequence of the fact that
today's tomatos have been selected to resist nematode, fusarium,

verticilum
and other dumping-off causing diseases and in the process good traits

having
to do with flavor had to be compromised?

Were you planting in the same zone and soil-type 20 years ago? Light-sandy
soil tomats are different than those grown in heavy-clay soil. I have found
the sandier the soil, the tarter the t'mater.

Do you prefer tomats that are sweet or acidic? What flavor do your tomats
have?

My take on this; plant varieties that are available commercially to
JQPublic are those that stand up well under conditions commonly found at
garden centers and big-box stores. A variety that doesn't hold up well in
the store won't produce many sales, so the stores have no reason to carry
them.

'Store seeds' available locally pose another question. Are they the best
suited for that area's growing conditions or are they just what's sold
everywhere by the seed company? My best guess is you can expect to find
one-size-fits-all.

Your local Ag-extension service, of one still exists, should have
information on what varieties do best in your area.