Old 22-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Robporter Robporter is offline
Registered User

Default Aeroponic/hydroponic propagation of camellias

Hi,

I live down in West Sussex, and have begun the process of propagating a range of hardy camellias (for my own use, not commercially). At the moment I am using a very cheap bottom heat source, that has a tendency to 'cook' the cuttings in the middle zone of the propagator, but I am getting about 80% take rates with japonicas and williamsii. The process is slow (3-4 months).

I have been reading, with some interest, the use of aeroponic (and hydroponic) propagators. Claims of rapid, 100% take rates are common. However, I can find no information on these propagators with regard to camellias. Has anyone out there tried propagating camellias with one of these setups? Does it work, how quick is it - in short, is it going to be better than me investing in a better, more accurately controlled bottom heat and some misting? How easy is the move from nutrient feed to soil based medium?

I would appreciate any experiences from doubters and enthusiasts of the hydroponic system, but particularly from anyone with first hand experience of using these techniques with camellias or similar ericaceous semi-hard cuttings.

Thanks.

Rob Porter.