Old 22-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Tomato Seeds

simy1 said:
From Territorial, I
grow the following heirlooms: yellow pear, Costoluto (this one gets too
much disease though), Brandywine (the standard for
taste), san marzano (a plum type) and Stupice (a cold weather early
tomato). They have other ones that I am told rival Brandywine in
flavor. But when Brandywine is in season I need nothing else.

I order tomato seeds from Tomato Growers Supply Co. tempts me to
endlessly try some new 'old' variety each year.

This year I grew 'Stump of the World' which is a bit smaller and earlier
and way more productive than Brandywine (just like the catalog said) and
outstanding eating. According to the catalog, this variety "was part of the
Ben Quisinberry Collection, which also contributed the variety Brandywine"
and it will be a regular for me from now on. I've tried various strains of
Brandywine but never was happy with them for being prone to cracking
and turning into fruit fly breeding zones. Should be a staple from now
on.

I also tried 'Anna Russian' for the first time. This is a great meaty
Oxheart-type tomato and another keeper, I think.

And lastly, another standout this year was 'Azoychka' which was sent along
as a freebie (though I suppose I would have tried it eventually!) and will
definitely be grown again, as it was a wonderful (and very early) yellow
beefsteak. I hope it will be more reliable than my old favorite 'Golden
Queen' which is a wonderful tomato (when producing) but not very
consistant.

The big dissapointment was 'Copia' which looked absolutely stunning
and had a very good flavor but was extremely watery. I'll probably
give it another try, though, because the extra plant I gave away was
a hit with the recipient. This cross (between Green Zebra and Marvel
Stripe) may be less stabilized than advertised.

My favorite sauce tomatoes are 'Classica' and 'Tuscany' though I'm not
sure where one can get the latter from as it doesn't appear to be carried by
Johnny's Selected Seeds anymore (I couldn't find it on their website).
Does anyone know a current source for 'Tuscany'?

(attributed to Don Marti)