Old 21-01-2003, 10:16 PM
snafu steve

Default braod beans & frost

"Martin B." wrote in message
news
I planted broad beans in the autumn (first time I have done this)
The recnet frosts bent them all over and some are still looking quite
withered.
Am i right in thinking that they should be resistant to frost ; hence good
for autumn planting.
Are they likely to recover ?

If they haven't withered completely you may be lucky. Depends on the
variety - aquadulce is good for autumn planting, but as someone else said,
they mustn't be planted too early. "Bonfire night is beans night" - Old
bill. Not the old Bill, Old Bill down the allotments. I.E. Don't plant until
after Nov 5. Well He's been growing them for over 50 years, so when he
talks, I listen.

Steve