Old 22-10-2005, 12:50 PM
keith ;-\)

Default Acer Palmatum help

"Mark Thomas" wrote in message

If you've moved it to a more sheltered spot, you've give it a good

chance.
There are two things they absolutely loathe, being in wind and too much
water........ Perhaps you should start reducing the water you are

giving
it so that it reaches almost drying out point and do make sure that it

is
draining well after each watering, whether by you or by nature. Raise

the
pot a little off the ground so that water can drain out of holes in the
bottom.

Thanks for the reply!

I think when we potted it we haven't given it enough drainage.

If we were to remove the tree from the pot and refill with a more free
draining mix would this damage the tree, i.e. shock it too much?

I could also tip the pot and drill a lot more holes in the bottom of the
pot than there are currently.

Can you recommend a good feed for it?

Mark

I killed my first Acer ,cause bad drainage.They like to potted into a pot
slightly larger than the one it was originally in.So the roots are not
sitting in compost it will not use.So do not over pot.I would take it out of
the pot it is in ,choose a pot that is just big enough to get the rootball &
a bit of compost around the roots.Put polystyrene chunks in the bottom of
the pot for drainage.I would use JI 2 or 3 & a ericaceous compost mixed in
equal amounts.It shouldn't need watering much through autumn/winter,if it
all.Put it in dappled shade,it wont need feeding until it is in growth again
next year,someone I spoke to knows someone with a Acer nursery he
recommended tomato feed.I top dress in spring with composted leaf mould.Also
scratch the bark and see if it is still green underneath to see if the plant
is still alive and actually worth saving.It should be o.k as it hasn't been
sat in cold/wet compost through winter yet,so you may have just saved it in
time!
Cheers Keith.