Old 22-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default OT again - Port (no storm)

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
I'm not usually this pre-occupied with alcohol, I promise but does anyone
know how to go about re-bottling and re-corking some old port? I'm sure
I've read/heard this can be done but have no idea where to start. Answers
by email, if preferred - this really is so OT but given the wide-ranging
interests of the members of this group, I feel sure someone will know. TIA.

There really isn't anything to rebottling. Just pour the liquid into
a clean, dry bottle, leaving any residue behind, soak the cork briefly
in hot water and hammer it in with a small mallet or anything heavy.
You should use a new cork - a corking machine (just a sort of funnel)
makes things easier, but it is essential only for sparkling wines.

If there is a lot of fine murk, pouring it through some cotton wool
in a funnel is a good idea. This is a trick used for decanting wines
that may have been shaken that I was taught many years ago by a
really old-fashioned wine merchant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.