Old 22-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Roger Snipes

Default [IBC] Black Pine & Soil

Gary,

First of all, you should determine if the yellowing you see isn't just
normal needle shedding. Your black pines will shed their three year old
needles each year. However, if all the needles on the tree are yellowing
you have a problem.

It does sound like you are keeping the trees too wet, and it may not be a
bad idea to repot them now into a fast draining mix. Japanese Black pines
do like a lot of water, but they must also have free draining soil -- they
don't like to stay wet.

If you repot now I would try to remove the poor soil as much as possible,
but I wouldn't do any trimming on the roots unless you detect rotted roots,
then you should trim back the rotten sections until you see white cores.

You should probably give these trees some extra protection this winter.

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. Zone 5-ish